Monday, March 30, 2015

Mini Spring Garden Basket

the mini spring garden basket

I wanted the kids classes to do a schoolyear-end activity last week.  Some of the students would no longer be coming back to classes from April.  For various reasons, they chose not to continue .  So I wanted a special, fun, creative yet not expensive activity for them.  I browsed several websites for ideas, and came across some pretty mini Easter baskets on Pinterest.  

I went to Daiso to look for materials, and gladly found a pretty, flowery and  small  pound cake  molder which I could use as a basket.  Now , what to put in there?  What things does one see in a spring garden?  Grass, small trees, rocks, pebbles, flowers, etc. etc. 

Now, I wanted the students to create their own spring gardens with edible stuff like marshmallows, biscuits, gummies, candies, chocolates.  Except for the green grass ( a bento plastic divider), everything in it, they could eat and share with their siblings/family.


I bought the Swedish thin almond-flavored biscuits which are shaped like flowers.  Then I melted white chocolates and spread it on the biscuit then placed one colored M&M on it, so it would look like flowers.


Since it's nearly Easter time, I bought miniature choco balls  in Easter bunny wrappers for them to put in their spring baskets.   

Here's what my spring basket looked like: Can you spot the froggy gummy??

Here are the students' creations: 

They could hardly resist digging into their yummy spring gardens while working on this activity.  It was fun, but what's more important is that they were able to use their imaginations and creative talents on this one.  

Good job, everyone!

Sadly, in my busy-ness and excitement, I forgot to take pics of the elem kiddie classes.  Sayang :(( 

No comments:

Post a Comment