Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Hula Dance

Last Sunday afternoon, I went to Harborland to walk around and do some window shopping.

On my way back to the main entrance of the Umie Mall,  I heard strains of hula music.  I craned my neck as to where that lovely sound was coming from.  From a distance, I saw a small crowd gathered  in front of a makeshift stage where young, college-age girls were dancing the hula.  I went near to get a good look . I think it was a mini recital of a college hula dance club that those girls were in.





I have always been fascinated with hula dances since my elementary days.  The first hula dance I saw was in a school program where my school mates danced to the tune of Pearly Shells, a popular hula song in the '70s.  Then, many young showbiz stars were also into the hula.  I remember watching on TV , stars like Nora Aunor, Vilma Santos, etc. donning a long Hawaiian dress complete with the leis and singing "Lovely Hula Hands", " My Little Grass Shack", etc. Of course, there was also the Tahitian dance by the Aldeguer Sisters which I enjoyed watching immensely. 

I like to dance and if ever I'd have a chance to take some dance classes , I'd choose the hula.  I love the soothing and romantic music, also the hand movements.  I think I'd like this over the Zumba for an exercise.  I heard the hula moves will improve posture, and give a lady smaller waists and well-formed butts. Plus, the flowers in the hair and those blooms hanged in leis ...oh, I'd certainly love that on me !  





No comments:

Post a Comment