Friday, September 4, 2015

Taste the Dragon


So glad to find a dragon fruit at the local supermarket this week.  It was priced at Y159 per piece which was not that bad, I think.  Friends say this is very expensive in their areas.

I first tasted dragon fruit on board a Cathay Pacific flight from Hongkong to Osaka about a couple of years ago.  It was among the fruits served with the meals .  I didn't know its name then, all I could remember was that it tasted sweet and juicy.  I made a mental note to Google it once I get home, and that was exactly what I did.  I searched online for photos of fruits until I found a photo of it and thus learned its name.  Then I went on YouTube to watch videos of how it is grown and eaten.


This is how it looks when it is sliced open.  You see lots of seeds inside which are edible.  The skin cannot be eaten.  This one I bought was not as sweet as the one I tried on CX flight but it is as juicy .  


Dragon fruit slices.  Yum !  

I was told that there is another variety of dragon fruit which is sold in many markets.  That's the purple kind.  

Last month, one of my cousins in Leyte took me to a Garden Show and Fair at Visayas State University in Baybay.  I bought a seedling of the purple variety of dragon fruit.  It is now planted in our backyard of our Leyte home.  I read that it will take about a year or so before it bears fruits.  I'm so looking forward to that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment