Monday, January 19, 2015

Rocking My Boat






Something this past weekend brought a strong wind that rocked my inner sailboat and for some time had me tossing about and had me off-center.   Not really a huge deal but it was enough to send me  to God for some urgent talks and for  some of His thoughts and guidance.   True to His promise of being there always, He quietly calmed my heart through His Word, the hymns I listened and sang along to on YouTube,  the chapters from the book I’m currently reading and through the online messages of Dr. David Jeremiah .
What did He remind me of this weekend in response to that rocker wind?  Here are the following:

1      1. Humility as a Jesus-person doesn’t mean I have to be meek, quiet, say ‘Yes’ all the time and please everyone.  There will be times  when  I need  to say ‘No’ , not because I won’t , but because I can’t. There will be times when I need to say my piece.  Jesus  understands. He was never the silent-type. He was  a strong and opinionated person while on earth. 

2     2.     As a Jesus-person, I don’t have to be chummy and like everyone.  The  Apostle Paul  wrote,  “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. “ (Rom. 12:18, emphasis mine) Sometimes, especially for someone like me, living at peace  would mean a polite distance from others. 

3      3.   As a Jesus-person, I am accountable to God for my own thoughts and reactions.  But there are things I cannot control,  like the reactions, speculations, judgments and opinions of others toward me and my decisions.  So I leave  all those to God  believing that they will also be accountable to Him. Only He knows where everyone is coming from and where each one is in now, especially in terms of spiritual walk and relationship with Him. 

4     4.   As a Jesus-person, I have given Him the control and sustenance of my life.  He knows perfectly what He is doing in my life.  Sometimes He sends “sunny skies”, sometimes “rains and storms”. Sometimes He opens “doors” for me to get in.  Sometimes He closes those  doors too, so He can  lead me to other places where He can use me better.  He does all things in my life in perfect timing and cadence.  I just have to walk in step with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment