Thursday, June 12, 2014

Making Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki is among my favorite Japanese food.  It looks like a pizza but does not taste like one.
There are a few okonomiyaki shops in my neighborhood, and I've been to all of them.  There are different variations of this food.  I like best the Osaka Kansai version.  I tasted the Hiroshima Okonomiyaki when we went to Hiroshima sometime in 2005.  For me, still the Kansai (Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe areas) okonomiyaki is The One.

One day, my good friend from church Eri-san invited me to her home to teach me how to cook okonomiyaki. 

We started with these ingredients. From the recipe :  In a large bowl, whisk together Okonomiyaki Flour and Water until smooth. Add Eggs, Cabbage, Onions, Tenkasu, Ginger, Shrimp and Sausage and mix, but don't over mix. Oil a griddle that has been heated to 200C (400F) and add Okonomiyaki mixture divided into two pancakesUsing a spatula flatten and form pancakes until around 1.5cm (3/4") thick - approximately 30cm (12") across. Add Bacon pieces to cover top of each pancakeAfter about 3 minutes, flip over pancake (bacon side down) and cook for 4 minutes. Flip pancake again (bacon side up) and cook for 3 minutes or until firm and well brownedRemove to plate and drizzle with Kewpie mayonnaise, okonomi sauce and sprinkle with Aonori (ground seaweed) and Katsuobushi (bonito fish flakes).


The Japanese like to drink tea with this dish.  I know some friends have beer with it.  But I prefer to drink cold Coke with this.  "You're weird," my Jap friends tell me.  Whatever they think, I don't mind.  




No comments:

Post a Comment