Friday, February 20, 2015

新年快乐 Xīnnián kuàilè Happy New Year!


I have made it a yearly tradition to go to Chinatown in Kobe Motomachi every Chinese New Year since I first came to Japan.  No, I don't take part in any activities there nor do I go to watch the Lion Dance.  I just walk around the place along with many people to get the feel of the celebration minus the deafening  firecrackers. 



I do this in honor of my beloved Chinese classmates (kinder through highschool) , former colleagues and students , and friends at Kian Kee (Cebu Christian School/Philippine Christian Gospel School).

This is also in honor of  my maternal great grandmother , Januaria Golle-Olavidez, who was a Chinese mestiza.  Her father was a Chinese businessman immigrant from mainland China and settled successfully in Leyte in the 1800's. 


I like to say to friends often that you'll be able to find your way to Chinatown pretty easily.  Just follow the scent of the "siopao".  Almost every corner in Chinatown has a siopao shop where lines of people can be seen outside its door. 


Kobe Chinatown is not that big compared to the one in Yokohama.  In fact, it took me roughly 10 minutes to go around it.  Crowds were there as early as midday for the Lion Dance and other activities and shows, but there was hardly a problem about navigating the crowds . The legendary  Japanese way of crowd control is impeccable and impressive.  


The Lion Statues (one with open mouth , the 'beginning' and another with a closed mouth, the 'end) stand guard at the entrance of the Chinatown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment