Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Culture Lesson: Valentine's Day

The last culture lesson for the school year was about Valentine's Day.

For the elementary and kinder classes I taught them the song "Skidamarink".  I found a fun video on YouTube by Muffin Songs, and this was what I showed to the classes as a warmer.

Art Activity  
                                                                           




The activity that I chose for the elementary classes  to do this year was Paper Hearts wreath/clover which they could hang on their walls at home.  I found this on the Martha Stewart's website.  Very easy thing for the kids to do, just folding and putting scotch tape on the sides to form paper hearts. Originally, the design is a wreath, but the kids wanted a clover design, which was fine with me because it meant fewer paper strips to use.  (The paper strips with designs were bought from the 100-yen store in Sannomiya).

The Kinder class did a coloring activity which is on one of the pages of their homework book "Sing and Play".   I let them color the pictures and had them fold and tape a plastc straw in between the folded sheets.   Then I made them say, "I love you" many times, (to practice the sounds of 'l' and 'v') , as they held the folded paper with the straw and waved them.
I made this as a sample


The Love Chapter in the Bible:  For the Adult class on Saturday, since the chaplain Toriyama-san could not make it to class that day, I had the students read the Japanese version of 1 Corinthians 13 for their Bible time. I think it was good for the students to know the ideal love as written in God's word. 

So that was this year's Happy Valentine's Day in our classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment