Wednesday, January 8, 2014

my happy place in Kobe

I can't exactly remember the date when I first went to this place.  I only remember that it was the Dobashi Family who first took me to this place .

The place is called Kachoen- literally, Bird and Flower Park.  It's on Port Island, one of the two man-made islands in Kobe (the other one is Rokko Island).  To get there, one has to either go by car or by monorail, the Portliner.  The first time we went , we had to go by car.  The next few times, I went by Portliner, taking the one that goes to Kobe Airport and getting off at Kachoenmae station (P08).

As the name suggests, it's a place where you get to enjoy several kinds of birds and flowers.  I can spend an entire day there, if I want to, just to enjoy the beautiful creations of God.

 Last September 2013, when I went there with Akiyo (my friend from Takamatsu), I was given a small notice along with the receipt of my entrance ticket.  The notice said that the park management is randomly giving that time a huge discount on a year's pass to the place.  Of course, I right away bought one that entitles me to go there as many times I want to for a year -- for free!

My favorite area is the dining area - tables and chairs are set surrounded by blooming begonias and other petals arranged beautifully in pots on raised platforms and some in hanging pots.

Another favorite area of mine is where the Toucans are .  No, these birds with big bills are not placed in cages.  They fly around the wide enclosed portion as they please .  Some are perched on branches of short trees waiting for food.  You can buy a tiny cup of sliced fruit for a 100yen,  hold it between  cupped fingers, extend an arm and wait....soon enough a huge toucan will swoop down on to your arm or shoulder and pick on the fruits.  It's an incredibly fun, and a  bit scary experience for first-timers , especially  for those with bird phobia - with the toucan bill just a few inches from your face.



Kachoen also has tropical plants and water lilies housed in a part of the area set with warmer temperature. 

Here are some of the blooms and feathery creatures you can see in Kachoen.




No comments:

Post a Comment